Friday 30 October 2009

Park Lane Unitarian Chapel, Ashton in Makerfield

I was invited to this beautiful Chapel for a coffee morning so of course along came the camera. Everyone was very friendly and I was allowed to wander around taking photos before going in for coffee and toast.
The Chapel was built in 1697, I must have driven past it numerous times but sadly never noticed it, it is partly hidden by the Park Hotel. It was interesting talking to some of the people there as they remembered attending the school - the rooms are still in use for the children's group each Sunday.


















Looking around inside took me back to my childhood when I used to go to the Methodist Chapel near where I lived in Chester. It was small but very homely. In one seat was a glasses case with a note in it to say that theses specs belonged to a certain parishioner and could they please be left in place. Now where else would you be able to do this - sadly not in many churches!











I tried to take a photo of the organ but there wasn't enough room for me to stand back from it so instead this next one is especially for the organist -







The stained glass windows were beautiful with the Autumn sun shining through them.















The school rooms still in use, they were bright and colourful probably completely different from the days when they were actually used as a school.







Thank you to everyone for making Sue and I so welcome.

No comments: