Friday 5 September 2008

Venice August 2008

I have had a request for yet more photos from Venice so here you are . . .


I really like this one - probably because I don't usually get to take a sunRISE! It was taken from the boat on the Grand Canal at 5.30am (that was 4.30 our time!). Shock horror what was I doing up at that time?





This was one taken looking through a wine glass (although you can't really tell that by looking at it!), we were sat drinking by the side of the Grand Canal near to the Rialto bridge.






These were taken a little later that same night - I think you may be able to tell that by this time we had drunk a little more wine!







Many of the buildings seemed a little sad and in need of help.








I never actually saw a proper grocery shop in Venice, unless these were hidden in some back street that we did not explore. I presume the residents had to go to the mainland for their weekly supplies. All the restaurants and hotels received their stocks by boat, we saw them delivering early in the mornings.









My favourite pasta stall!






More breath taking views from the top of the Campanile









The Bridge of Sighs - convicts had to walk over this from Doge's Palace to the prisons. It was supposedly their last chance to glimpse the sky and sea.






The famous Rialto Bridge - by day it was always crowded with people . .





but at 5.30 in the morning on our way back to the airport it was deserted.
Note the difference in the sky!



This one was taken exactly 26minutes later according to my camera anyway, the sun is now shining on the buildings and the sky is slowly changing colour.


1 comment:

Anya and Lisa said...

Hurray!! thank you for these, I very much like all the ones you took off, and around the Rialto Bridge
Ax

ps where are we going next year??