Monday 19 January 2009

Raynaud's syndrome

I find that many people don't understand Raynaud's and how it can affect your life so here are a few photos. The first one is showing 2 dead fingers which happened immediately after taking a bottle of milk from the fridge. It is caused by a vasospastic attack, the blood vessels constrict and cut off the blood supply to the extremities. Metal taps, door handles, cutlery to name but a few all have the same effect. Even getting out of a warm bed and walking to the shower (with central heating at full blast) has the same effect. They are obviously worse after being outside but I'm sorry I am unable to take a photo when I have 2 hands completely dead!





This one was taken as the fingers are coming back to life, they change colour to blue, black and then finally return to red/pink. During this time you feel the pain and pins and needles.




I have tried hand warmers and all types of gloves but it still occurs - I can't wear gloves and carry wheat bags with me all day long, I do have to answer the call of nature and put my hands in water at some point! I have just been reading about Pycnogenal - the wonder drug and am thinking of giving it a try. Whilst doing the homework for this tablet I have also learnt that Raynaud's and hypothyroidism seem to go hand in hand (no surprise there then!!) and that people who have these tend to have a shortage of omega 3 so that's another pill I need.
Come back verapamil (a calcium antagonist) all is forgiven! I was taking this tablet for years and it worked wonders for Raynaud's but I had to discontinue it a few years ago.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

No comments: